Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Teacher Apprecitation Week

OK, so, yeah Teacher Appreciation is over.......

but I still want to share what I've been doing for the past two weeks......

Never in my life did I ever think I would be using something I learned to do while working in a restaurant as a hostess. 

And when one of the moms said,

"Wouldn't it be great if we could make a balloon arch for the front of the school!  Do we know any one who knows how to make one?" 

I raised my hand because when I was that lowly hostess I learned how to make balloon arches.  I guess we shouldn't take for granted what we learn in jobs we don't think we'll ever revisit. 

Any way, 
Another mom and I got up at 6:30 am, Tuesday to make the balloon arch before the teachers got there.  The plan was to do it on Monday but it was raining, and raining, and raining. 

So the rain kind of made it hard for us to get the balloon arch up. 

The teachers did get a special snack for Monday. 


 And did I mention that I was helping out in two schools?

For my sons kindergarten teacher I planned for her to get presents from the class everyday for the whole week (more on this a little later) .  They also had a "Staff Appreciation" lunch Monday.

I made Creamy Broccoli soup.     

I had appointed my self to give my sons teacher a basket with apples in it for Tuesday.  The plan was to have other children give her more apples.  Enough so it would look like the apples were picked from an apple tree. 

The sign says :  "A good teacher deserves an apple.  You deserve the whole tree!"

On that same day,  Harmony teachers got these fancy little cupcakes that I made (the flowers and pearls I made as well).

Flavor,  Orange Lavender cupcakes with buttercream icing.  (I'll share the recipe on a future post)


Along the way the Harmony teachers got other little gifts like stationary, and more food.

On Thursday we (the Harmony Teacher Appreciation Committee) put on a lunch for them.  The theme, if you haven't guessed yet, "Treasure".

When the teachers arrived, they had gifts waiting for them at the table.  The committee put together beach bags that had water bottles filled with Crystal Light and energy bars, cute sandals,  and one other thing that escapes my mind.  One of the moms is the owner of a bagel shop in town and they provided the food.  Our table settings where a chest with flowers and a fish bowl.

We made quite a team!
I made this treasure chest cake for them.  It's all edible (except for the piece of wood holding up the lid).  Even the sand.  It's brown sugar.  Coins are chocolate.  The gems are hard candy, and the sea shells and starfish are made out of fondant.  The plumaria flowers are gumpaste.  All edible!  Yes, the lid is edible too. 

Cake flavor:  Lemon cake with raspberry buttercream.


I had way too much cake left over, so I made cake balls.  And the left over gems I put in little bags and .......
I'll show you soon.


But more on the plan I made for my sons Kindergarten teacher.

Monday:  Her favorite coffee and a pastry. Didn't want to do to much there due to the Staff Appreciation lunch. 

Tuesday: Apples with the basket

Wednesday:  Balloons

Thursday:  Potted Plants and Stationary.

Friday:  No school.

I Also encouraged the parents to have there children write her letters of appreciation.

If I am a home room mom next year I will most likely do something similar. 


PHEW!!!!  Loved spoiling, but glad it's done.


Mamita's Next Thing:

For sure, I will share that Orange Lavender cupcake recipe with you and I still need to share what I did for Mothers Day.  I got something new in my "Studio" that I am so excited about.  So much to do, so little time.  

Have a great day!

Lola










No comments:

Post a Comment